Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Eat Local Challenge, day 3

In addition to embracing this Eat Local Challenge, I've also been focused on keeping my grocery budget down as well.  I know a lot of people think it costs a lot extra to eat local and/or eat organic, etc., but I think if you make as many good, smart choices as you can, it doesn't have to cost any more than you would normally be able to spend.  My local food co-op has as many sales as the larger grocery stores, and my membership discount plus the occasional coupon go a long way in helping me make the better choices.  

This week, I admit, I splurged a wee bit and got some Carolina Bison.  But I chose the least expensive cut (flank steak), and because I don't eat red meat too often, this will definitely be for more than one meal.  Other than that, the ingredients came from my farmer's market purchases over the weekend and/or pantry items that I try to keep in stock, so the actual meal cost is not too bad.  I haven't gotten to the point of costing out each meal, but based on what I spent for the steak and the fact that everything else was purchased separately, I know this meal cost me well under $10 (and I will have leftovers).

So today, with a wee bit of a splurge, I have 'local steak frites':


I admit, I like my steak on the rare side, but the picture came out looking more rare than it really is.  The juices on top of the steak, for instance, are augmented by juice from the slaw as I plated.  Pretty much everything was sourced from either the food co-op or one of our area's weekly farmer's markets.  Carolina Bison, NC sweet potatoes roasted with local garlic, olive oil, & rosemary, accompanied by a slaw that includes local beets, corn, cabbage and kale.  Half of this will be lunch tomorrow, but had to plate it all 'cuz it was so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment