Thursday, March 26, 2009

time for a grateful break...

I think I remember a time when there were periods of crazy busy intermittently dispersed throughout the year. Now it seems more like moments of calm, intermittently dispersed throughout the year! But whenever the brink rears itself into view, I know it's time to take a moment, breathe and remember how grateful I am to be in the mix at all!

Today's reflections go to my much appreciated studio assistants.


Heather and Micah each come in one day a week and help keep the floors cleaned, drains cleared, clay stocked, me prepped and little projects done. They don't get in much else during the week for their own work, such is the delicate balance of keeping the bills paid and keeping time in the studio, but I'm happy that I can at least provide them that place to go when they can carve out the time. I am also grateful that the harder I work, the more time it puts me in the studio, and watching them reminds me of my years working in theater when having essentially two full time jobs was the norm (the job that paid the bills, then another 40-60 hour week in theater).

it's kind of a 'chicken & egg' quandry to know where it all starts...but here are the scraps (and non-survivors) of a recent trim session...

... that Heather turns into beautifully pugged logs ...

... that Micah wedges into beautifully portioned balls...

... that allows me to just sit and throw between answering calls, emails, planning marketing, doing the books, teaching students, packing orders and all the other things that come with the business end of 'the business'...

...that will then be trimmed to jump back into the clay 'cycle of life'!

So here's to my helpers, thanks for all you do, now get in here and throw something for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment