Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Veggie Delight: 100 Days of Recipes, Day 56

I'd like to think that people who have my pottery are inspired to create fabulous dishes to go in and on them. Maybe it's because that's what I do, or maybe they create fabulous dishes, and then see which plate or platter or bowl is worthy of holding its fabulousness. I do that, too. Either way, if they then share that result with me, I am in turn inspired - sometimes it's to make more and/or new pieces for future fabulous dishes, and sometimes it's to make a fabulous dish of my own.

So when Chef Kajsa Alger posted this:

homemade tastes better on handmade, 100 day challenge, 100 days of recipes, veggie delight, handmade pottery, inspirations, chef kajsa
My ReGram of Chef Kajsa's yumminess on my platter.
I was inspired, not only because I absolutely love seeing how others use my pottery, but because once again I saw something yummy and realized "hey, I have those ingredients!", or at least some version of those ingredients.

I had just been to my favorite Asian Market to pick up some coconut creme for a special creation (sure to be chronicled here later...), so really, the main thing that popped into my head was that I had a nice package of rice noodles. Having been to the tailgate market on Saturday, I knew I also had veggies, so it was just a matter of putting them together.


Softening the onion, fennel bulb, ginger, and turmeric.

The rest of the players: shaved carrot and sweet potato, thin cuts of kale,
snap peas, broccoli stems, zucchini, and squash. Plus broccoli flowers and
oyster mushrooms. True vegetable delight!
What I love about using these thin, rice noodles is that while they soak in a bowl of warm water, I can quickly cook up the veg, and just when they are about perfect, toss in the noodles, make a hot 'dressing' and it's all done - practically a one-pot meal!

homemade tastes better on handmade, made in asheville, pottery, 100 day challenge, 100 days of recipes
My roped platter holds the Veggie Delight beautifully, and I've got
meals and parts of meals for the rest of the week!
Veggie Delight

This makes a nice pile of noodles! Easily feeds 2-4, depending on how hungry the eaters, and if you decide to add a protein or other sides. Of course, I'm already planning for the leftovers...

1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
1" piece of ginger, sliced thin and chopped
1" piece of fresh turmeric, sliced thin and chopped
8-10 leaves of lacinto kale leaves (long/flat), thinly sliced
1 small head of broccoli, about 4-5 stalks: cut at the crowns, and thinly slice the stalks
   (peel tough outer skin if necessary)
1 small (about 5") carrot, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
1/2 cup shaved (use the peeler) sweet potato
1 cup thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash

About 5 oz. thin rice noodles - the kind you soak in warm water, and then add to stir-fry.

Dressing:
1 1/2 TBSP sesame oil
2 tsp pomegrante molasses
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
generous squirt sriracha
generous pinch of salt
pinch of date sugar

Place the rice noodles in a bowl large enough to cover the rice completely with warm water. Do that, and set it aside while you cook the veg.

Heat a wok or large saute pan over medium heat (or just below medium) and saute the onion, fennel bulb, ginger, and turmeric until soft and fragrant (about 5 minutes). Toss in a pinch of salt, then add the kale, carrot, sweet potato, and broccoli stems. Raise heat just a bit (to medium, or just higher than that) and continue to saute/stir for another 3-4 minutes, or until the kale is wilted. Add the broccoli crowns and squash, and continue to stir/saute for another 3-4 minutes. 

Mix the first four ingredients of the dressing together, then taste. Add some salt, taste again, then add some date sugar if it needs balance. Whisk it hard (or put it all in a jar and shake it hard!). Find your happy place by taste.

Drain the noodles, then add them in small tong fulls, folding together with the veg to get them incorporated and 'unclumped' if necessary. Drizzle the dressing on top, and lightly toss the noodles and the veg together to thoroughly incorporate and coat with dressing. Put the lid on and let the noodles steam in the veggie mix for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat.

Great as is for a light lunch, or add the protein of your choice to make it a bit heartier. And I already see an 'over easy scramble' with some of the leftovers in my future.




No comments:

Post a Comment