Monday, May 15, 2017

Salad with Seared Salmon - 100 Days of Recipes: Day 42

More salad! I'm just now getting to the end of the veggies I got at the tailgate market over a week ago. $50 spent at the market seems a bit steep, but when I can get meals for over a week, it's money very well spent. Even the salmon came from that trip, initially going into the freezer, and coming out for a thaw and a quick sear to make this meal.

Simple Salad of greens, roasted sweet potato, turnips & carrots,
pickled onions, walnuts, and a quickly seared salmon fillet.
For the salmon, after rinsing it and patting it dry with a paper towel, I gave it a very light coating of olive oil, and some salt and pepper on each side. I heated a heavy-bottomed skillet on med/high (our studio stove top cooks pretty hot, but you do want a hot pan!), and I started the salmon skin-side down. It stayed that way for about 6 minutes - I could see the pink turning lighter on the skin side, and after about 6 minutes I could move the fillet around the pan. I flipped it over for another minute, and then removed it to the cutting board. What you don't see in the picture is the crispy skin - kinda ate that while I was cutting up the salmon and plating. The salad was lightly dressed in the last of my balsamic vinaigrette, and then topped with the salmon.

I don't usually eat salad with chopsticks, but I love these bowls and the way they frame the food they hold, and one thing I love about eating with chopsticks is that you slow down. At least I slow down - it's kind of fun to pick up the individual parts of the salad and enjoy all the flavors. Of course you don't HAVE to use chopsticks with my chopsticks bowls, but it turned a quick studio lunch into a lovely dining experience all around. I'm just glad I used walnuts instead of sunflower seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment