Friday, May 5, 2017

Mac and Cashew Cheese. 100 Days of Recipes: Day 32

I thought I'd get further in than 21 days before a major gap occurred in my 100 days, but I'm glad it's happened so I don't have to fret it! 

The past 11 days, some of which you'll find on the Instagram account, have included the frantic finish of production into a glazing and firing cycle, followed by unloading, sorting, packing, delivering, and shipping pots. That was followed by a trip to Florida to see my folks and help them with a yard sale, returning late Tuesday of this week, bringing with me a lovely summer cold. The cold kept me home yesterday and today, but today at least included taking care of the travel laundry, so I'll be ready to get back to the studio tomorrow!

I haven't been out to get fresh fruits/veg since I've been back, so all my comfort cooking this week has come from the fridge and pantry (I can't wait to get to the farmer's market tomorrow!). Today's recipe may have already appeared in the blog, but it's been a perfect comfort lunch on a slightly cooler, rainy day.


Sick Day Comfort Food: Mac & cashew cheese, with peas
& finely crumbled turkey bacon


Cashew Cheese Sauce (for mac & cheese)

This cashew based 'cheese' sauce is great to sauce your mac, or to use as you would any light cheese sauce. You can make it more hollandaise-like with a bit more lemon, or cheese it up even more by adding more nutritional yeast. 

1 1/2 cups raw cashews
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. chili powder (or cayenne)
1/2 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp. mustard

(this makes enough to dress 16 oz. pasta)

Process the cashews in a food processor. First they will chop up, then as they continue to process, it will ball up, then get more paste-y. That's where you want it to be.

Add the rest of the ingredients and process to blend well. 

If you're making 'mac & cheese', cook 16 oz. of pasta to your 'dente' choice. Drain and return to the pan, adding the sauce and stirring to blend and heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment