Friday, June 16, 2017

Veggie Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust: 100 Days of Recipes, Day 57


It seems the later I get home, the more I want to putter in the kitchen for a meal. It's a perfect way for me to relax, but it also means I might be eating later than I want, and it could also mean waking up to a messy kitchen. Usually worth it, and in many cases I'll end up snacking my way through the prep, and my lovely meal will be lunch the next day. The other thing that happens is that if I am 'puttering', I'm likely not following an exact recipe, so sharing the loveliness is more challenging the next day. This is fairly simple and straight-forward, though, so if you read along, you'll get the gist of it!

I picked up a nice variety of vegetables last weekend at the Tailgate, but this week hasn't exactly cooperated with my intended cooking schedule, so when I got home last night, I saw I had a nice variety of vegetables that were looking a little sadder than when I picked them up. Before resorting to an oversize batch of vegetable stock, I pulled out the veg that might not make the prettiest salad, and decided to go the quiche, or something very much like it, route.


Late dinner so not the best planned imagery, but it sure tastes great!
Challenge: no crusts in the freezer, and it was already late enough that I just didn't feel like messing up the kitchen any more to make even a quick crust. Enter the sweet potato - I had seen mention of a sweet potato crust somewhere a while back, so a quick check with Google and I made a simple sweet potato crust by thinly slicing the sweet and layering the slices around the inside of my lightly greased baking dish. Since I was using one of my handmade dishes, I put it in a cold oven before setting the temp to 450. about 30 minutes later, I had a nicely cooked crust, ready for my quiche.

Does this placemat make me look green? It was later, so I was more
interested in eating than setting up a photo! It was delicious, and
my 'salad' of cabbage kimchi was a perfect side.
While the crust was baking, I first fried up some sage leaves that were still pretty in a drizzle of olive oil, and chopped up the less pretty to add to my saute of onion, fennel bulb, broccoli stems, kale, broccoli flowers, oyster mushrooms, and garlic (in that order), with salt, paprika, and cumin. I wanted this to be more veggie than eggy, so I whisked up 6 eggs instead of the 8 that usually goes into this pan, with some salt, paprika, and a splash of cashew milk. When the crust came out, I re-set the oven to 350. The veg went into the sweet potato crust, then I poured the eggs on top. I put the fried sage leaves on top of that, and added a light sprinkle of Pecorino. The pan went back into the now 350 oven for about 20 minutes, or until it was nicely puffed and set.

I definitely want to play with that sweet potato crust again, and next time, I'll write it all down!


So good for dinner, I had a slice for breakfast, with local blueberries
from Mudluscious Gardens and some Thai Chicken Sausage from East Fork Farms.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment