Monday, March 26, 2018

More about the Handmade, and always more Homemade!

If you've been following my work and musings at my Crazy Green Studios blog, welcome! I've merged my two blogs, for more efficient organization, and in hopes of having more frequent posts to share what's going on both in the studio and in the kitchen. If you're new to this blog, welcome! I'll be sharing everything from what's going on with Crazy Green Studios, new work in progress, events and activities at The Village Potters, and of course, recipes! So it'll be lots of homemade on lots of handmade, with a few extras tossed in to add flavor.

And to get things kicked off, here's a quick image re-cap of some of what's been going on since my last post, with a quick recipe if you follow all the way to the end. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for what's ahead!



the village potters, asheville, nc, pottery, ceramics, clay center, pottery classes, gallery, teaching centerThe Village Potters Clay Center finished a 5,000 sq. ft. expansion, and among my favorite new features is the new Resident Potter Studios with windows!! If you're in the area or plan to be, mark your calendar for our Spring Open House on Saturday, May 12, 2018 and see the new space!





Because The Village Potters Clay Center offers clays from Laguna, Miller, and Axner (and just announced and coming soon: Standard Clays!), I've been able to test some new clay bodies. I'm really liking this dark stoneware, both for the possibilities in my wax resist work for the gallery, and for new and exciting options for my wholesale restaurant and food professional clients. If you want to see more ongoing studio work in progress, follow my Crazy Green Studios Instagram page.







I got some cute new glasses!



New client The Rustic Grape opened, serving their
delicious brunch and small bites on small plates
I designed with the owners.



My "XO" mugs have been very popular this Spring, and nothing makes me happier than spreading love through pottery! This lovely image is from photographer & videographer Studio Misha from a styled wedding shoot.






I volunteered to register voters at the March for Our Lives event in Asheville, and was inspired by the turn out, and the spirit and passion from young voices who are engaged, informed, and ready to make things happen. 





And of course I've been cooking. Starting off the year with #cook90 was a lot of fun, and inspired me to keep larder items on hand for more spontaneous cooking, even on busy days. One of my favorite winter go-to meals has been some version of Shrimp & Grits. In this version, I made a batch of East Fork Farm Grits (follow the recipe on the bag), and topped them with a slightly altered version of Gambas al Ajillo (recipe as I remember is below), and a 6-minute egg. The yolk made a great sauce with the shrimp and grits, and on a chilly Spring night it's pure comfort!

Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)

2 TBSP olive oil
7 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
9 shrimp, peeled & deveined
large pinch of dried chile pepper, crushed
1 TBSP fire whiskey
Salt
large pinch of dried parsley

Heat oil in a cast iron pan on med/hi heat - let it get hot, but not smoking hot. Add the garlic and cook until nicely browned (keep stirring so it doesn't burn). Toss in the shrimp and dried chile pepper, and stir constantly until the shrimp are cooked (about 2 minutes). Add a nice splash of fire whiskey (usually brandy is called for, but this is what I had) and the dried parsley and and a nice pinch of salt - stir/toss it another minute. The liquid will cook down, and the parsley will soften and coat the shrimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment